Many small companies who will style (and cater) your celebrations from A-Z have also appeared on the scene. Perfectly coordinated and very very stylised parties-in which everything from the toilet paper in the bathrooms to the ticket stubs from the car valet matches the main theme-have started adorning the pages of Turkish INSTAGRAM users.
If you choose to "do everything yourself" for your next event, then you might want to take a look at some of my tips below....or just take a look at the photos from our party below and let me know what you think...
Tips for Styling/Decorating a Party
- Use reusable plates, cups and cutlery instead of boring, generic, paper stuff with generic images...Save yourself the trouble of going to all the party stores in Istanbul just to discover that they all have the exact same merchandise (with minor variations) and that many of them don't even have the most recent characters. Spend a little bit more on several sets of of IKEA Kalas plates which you can use and re-use party after party.
- Style your party like you would style a room...choose a colour scheme, some patterns, textures, fabrics, focal points and accessories. Spend some time planning, create a mood board or just use one corner of a room/the dining room table to collect all of your party supplies to get a sense of what you have and what else you need.
- Shop smart..shop your house first before you go to buy things for your buffet table or your decorations. Some of your children's toys or storage solutions and maybe some of your plants, glass vases or trays or candle holders can double as accessories for your party. If you must buy new things make sure that you buy things that can be reused after the party in your house.
- Discover (or rediscover) the joy of making original decorations yourself and baking your own goodies for your parties. You don't need to be Martha Stewart to do this. Browse the web, get your supplies and have a party preparation day with your kids/friends...Arts & Crafts + baking can be a functional, practical, creative and therapeutic activity for the whole family. Professional life often really disconnects you from fun activities like this so use this as an opportunity to play.
- If you are truly uninterested or hopeless when it comes to this stuff or just too swamped for party preparations...then just call me for help :-)